Why It’s a Great Idea!
The Save The Bomber Plant Campaign is dedicated to preserving a portion of the historic Willow Run Bomber Plant by renovating it to become the new home of the expanded Yankee Air Museum. The new Museum will have new exhibits and innovative programming that will celebrate Willow Run’s unique history, share the excitement of flight, spark an interest in manufacturing and technology, and benefit the local community.
Willow Run, with its unique history, offers unsurpassed learning opportunities for children and adults to learn about our local and national history, the changing American workforce, the story of creating “just-in-time” manufacturing, and the economic and social development of this region.
Together, we can preserve the history of Willow Run and build the future NEW home of the Yankee Air Museum. Please give generously!
Thank you for your support!
The Michigan Aerospace Foundation
The Yankee Air Museum
Campaign Co-chairmen: Jack Lousma, NASA Astronaut (retired); Bob Lutz, GM Executive (retired)
The New Home of the Yankee Air Museum will:
- Preserve a crucial piece of America’s World War II history and be the first Museum in the US to tell the full story of the WWII wartime production miracle, including the entry of women and minority workers into the mainstream industrial workforce, and the critical role Detroit played in creating the local and nationwide “Arsenal of Democracy.”
- Save a unique part of Detroit’s manufacturing history and recognize and promote Michigan’s important continuing role in the aerospace industry and national defense.
- Inspire future generations by sharing the exciting stories of historic Willow Run, Rosie the Riveter, the Arsenal of Democracy, aviation history and technology.
- Enable the Yankee Air Museum to expand its STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) exhibits and programs. As befits its location, the new Museum will use the excitement of flight to generate interest in the underlying aviation science and technology, and inspire young people to pursue education and career opportunities in those fields.
- Share the Museum’s collection of over 20 historic airplanes with visitors and will have the space to support maintaining and preserving the collection.
- Help stimulate new future-oriented economic development at Willow Run.
- Support community events. The Museum will provide a large venue (capacity of 1,000 plus) for corporate, family ad community events
- Be Green. The new museum is a model project of adaptive reuse of an industrial site. It is designed to save resources, energy, and money!
To view or download a high resolution PDF version of this diagram, click here.